It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The hilarity of GW legal policies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:19 pm 

Ok, I have been reading a 13 part series starting here, that is really insightful about many of GW's business decisions. In part 5 he really goes in depth on some of the ludicrous steps they take to protect their IP, including these doozies from their legal policies:

This also means that we cannot allow tattoos as an acceptable use of our IP as a third party necessarily has to perform the "service."....So, seriously, do they have someone policing GTs and stuff handing out court orders to have tattoo removal?

Avatars and similar monikers are now commonplace on nearly every forum or chat program that you come across. As cool as they may be, they can cause problems if the use our trademarks since we need to maintain the distinctiveness of our trademarks in relation to their origin.

If you want to use avatars and similar monikers, create them yourself and credit the origins of the IP in your message sign off.
.......Really, this one cracked me up when I read it. This is the one I would love to see them try to enforce.

What the hell are they smoking at GW?

Kharn

Post subject: Re: The hilarity of GW legal policies
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:30 am 

To be honest, I doubt that they would actually enforce these. If I had to take a guess, it would likely be 2 things:

1. They want these policies in place as a 'just in case.' If there would ever be a 1 in a million situation where they would have to consider serious litigation, then they've at least stated their policies up front and publicly.

2. To prevent people from creating a 'business' around the IP. Like, using those two specific examples, maybe a tattoo artist who specifically advertises 40K related tattoos (which would only be limited to duplicating their art only - if I walk in and get a tattoo of my own custom art, then they can't touch me as far as I know) or maybe a website that offers 40K themed avatars for .99 or something ridiculous like that.

There's really no way to police it, so it kinda falls into that area of copyright law where they'll use C&D orders to just scare people out of doing what they don't want them to be doing. My 2 cents.